Saturday, February 28, 2009

He Could Use Some New Shoes


Preparation for every good adventure always begins with one thing: a good pair of shoes. Shoes is maybe the wrong word, because shoes just don’t really cut it. Unless every trip you plan to take is to the mall or the tennis court, you’ll need something a little more substantial than shoes. In fact I hold a little disdain for the term shoes because it seems so casual.
Before continuing, understand that I do own a pair of shoes. A pair. I use them for casual days at the park, for playing basketball, raquetball, or any of a number of sports. It happens that I will wear them to the mall, or shopping. But let it be known that my shoes are the exception to my footwear, and not the rule. I wear them when I want to pepper an otherwise normal day with a bit of casualness, a bit of ease. If you wear casual shoes the majority of the time, you are prepared to lead a casual life.
I intend adventure for myself and for my family. As part of my preparation for such a life I like to have footwear that will function in most instances. I think the real impulse to prefer such footwear came from my viewings of Indiana Jones movies. There he was, leading a fairly normal—but interesting—life, when suddenly he’d be sucked into a great adventure. I would think, as I watched him adventuring, “I bet he wished he had something on other than those trackless loafers he’s got.”
My first foray into the world of good footwear was to find something that could be worn to church, to work, or any other dressy sort of occasion, but that could also climb a mountain. Again, I was trouble shooting for Indiana Jones and this was the kind of footwear I thought he could have used while running from Nazis with machine guns. The shoe I found was made by GBX and it did all of those things. My first pair went to church with me, they went to job interviews with me, they went on a 30 mile mock pioneer trek with me, and they hiked to the top of an 11,000 ft. mountain . . . among other things. The one place they were really lacking was in the ability to perform sportier activities (I never was able to test them out against an army of Nazis and tanks).
So now I also own two pairs of cross-country boots. The treads are good and deep, but the material is supple enough to go running in. My boots are pictured herein and they are great. I’d recommend a pair to anyone. With either these sports boots, or my dress boots I am ready to proceed in a traditional manner to traditional activities, or if need be I can take off into the woods, or cross country, or cross borders chased by Nazis, and the durability and traction I need will always be there with me.
Give it a moment’s thought. Some people are concerned with excelling in sports. Others are concerned with experimenting in a lab. Still some love to focus on the arts. Not everyone is looking for adventure at each of life’s turns. I am. My great focus or experimenting or excelling will be with my life and the things an individual is capable of. That may require much traveling. It may not. But all the same I’d like to be prepared for either scenario and that begins with choosing the right footwear.

No comments:

Post a Comment