Saturday, February 28, 2009

Definition of Adventure



I have no definition of adventure. Webster does. Webster and I rarely see eye to eye, and this term is no exception. I don’t know what I’d qualify as adventure. I know it when I see it.
I will declare that far too many see adventure as only that which makes a great story. Examples may be backpacking across Asia, whitewater rafting, attending a glamorous awards show, etc. I would say that all it takes for a great story is a great story teller. Even the greatest of adventures could be dulled by a dull speaker.
So is adventure that which makes your adrenaline race? Makes your heart rise up into your throat? Certainly not. Such things are called thrills and living for thrills is like living on drugs . . . you’ll always need more and in much more potent quantities. Adventure is no such thing. At least I think not. I think a true adventurer makes adventure out of any situation—and that doesn’t mean the ability to turn any situation into a life-threatening one.
Adventure is the journey. I have recently set a goal for myself of bowling a 200 this year. Is that exciting? Probably not to everyone. I guess it’s not really exciting to me. The journey to that 200 just might be however, and when I tell it, those listening may be heard to exclaim, “Man, this guy has quite the adventurous life!”
Though they may not.







No comments:

Post a Comment