Saturday, February 28, 2009

Separate Church and State and Atheism

My thoughts are not for the convincing of others, but for the reaffirmation of that which we ought already know is true--and for those who don't know it, I've allowed access because I believe you'll listen. Now, that said, I wanted to speak quickly to an incident occuring in the Capitol Building in Washington State. For years they displayed a Mennorah (sp?). Then, after some fuss, they put up a Nativity. Now, after much more fuss, the atheists have a display. What is it? It's a sign that reads as follows:"At this season of the winter solstice, may reason prevail. There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds."The sign is not pretty, it's a white board that reads as posted. Now I have a lot of friends who are atheists. Do I have an issue with them? No. I disagree with them, but we are friends. Likewise I would not have a problem being friends with anyone of any faith, and I would hope never to cut down their beliefs. Joseph Smith said that if one were unresponsive to the gospel message he would not wrestle with them, but rather build them up in the good of their lives and then "truth will cut its own way." We build up--regardless. I am curious, then, as to why anyone felt it would be appropriate to post this sign. A mennorah does not cut down a Christian's belief, nor an atheists. A nativity does not cut against another either. This sign, however, is deliberately aimed at telling those who are of faith that they are unreasonable. That is, in effect, what 'may reason prevail' is alluding to. A nativity isn't crying out against an atheist saying your beliefs are false and lead to terrible things, but this sign is saying that religion does. Why Washington State felt that this sign was somehow fair and equal is beyond me. It is deliberately offensive (as opposed to the nativity which may inadvertently offend). And when did it become okay for the beliefs of an atheist to be 'state' related, but not the beliefs of a 'christian'? That's the argument being made by many. Take christianity and all religion out of the schools and replace it with atheism. Perhaps they don't see it, but atheism is just another religion. They have no tangible proof for their beliefs than do the christians. I can't show you that God exists, nor can you show me he doesn't. I hope this helps all who read it to have a clearer perspective on things. Again, I don't feel one religion should have more rights than another, but I do believe there must be equal respect for all, and atheists (like those who demanded this sign) do not give that respect and so I feel to take away from them their right for free speech. We didn't defend free speech so that we could criticize and berail one another, but rather that all respectful and peaceable ideas could be heard. May it ever be the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment